Triple M Corner no.25

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

Launched in July 1934 the MG KN Magnette (pillar-less) Saloon was a six cylinder  fast touring car, just 200 of which were built in its short production life which ended in 1935. (Source: Mike Allison ‘The Magic of the Marque’.) The KN Magnette was built upon the 9′ lwb K chassis and weighed in at just under 16 cwt. (LAT ‘Motor’ Plate 525-8)

Triple M Corner no.24

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

By the start of the 1932 season the original MG Midget was fast approaching the end of its production life. Fabric clad bodies were rapidly disappearing from model ranges, the last Minors  to be thus skinned being the 1931 season Semi-Sports, along with the S.V. and O.H.C. Fabric Saloons and these only sold in very low numbers. The ‘M’ Type Midget was about to give-way to the new J2 model on the Abingdon production lines and just 187 original Midgets were made that season, of which all but 37 were metal paneled cars. A distinguishing feature of these metal clad models was the shorter boot lid made to accommodate the permanently attached hood – note the visible hood rails. (LAT Photo Scan)

Triple M Corner no.23

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marque’s identity.

On 6th May 1933 the JCC International Trophy Race took place at the Brooklands circuit in Surrey. The race was held over a distance of 250 miles with 28 cars making it to the starting line. Although the Honourable Brian Lewis won the race in an Alfa Romeo the next three places went to the MG K3 Magnettes of E.R. Hall, Mrs Elsie Wisdom and Earl Howe. Just eight cars finished the race. This photo (LAT Plate C159) shows the MG Car Company chief executive Cecil Kimber standing between the ‘Eddie’ Hall car and that of Mrs ‘Bill’ Wisdom shortly after the end of the three hour race.

Triple M Corner no.22

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

A Midget and a Hornet feature in this LAT image (B5613) which was taken during the course of the 1931 running of the JCC Half Day Trial. The two-tone Hornet Coachbuilt Saloon (GH 6250) seen on the left was first registered in London in the late summer of 1930 and looks as if it is in absolutely standard trim. The metal paneled MG Midget Sportman’s Coupe is registered MG 872 and carries the competition no. 3. If anyone knows more about this car please contact the website.

Triple M Corner no.21

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

Competition number 124 adorned the car entered by J.A. Arber to the 1932 MCC London-Land’s End Trial, that took place on the 25th and 26th March. Arber’s Midget (as detailed by Cowbourne) can be seen here being assisted up one of the nine observed hill sections. Despite this he went on to collect a Silver Award. His car looks to be an MG D Type but has rear hanging doors – perhaps an MG specialist can help identify the model? (LAT Plate B7807) Edited to add: Thanks to the help of the Triple M Forum, Sam Christie, Ted Hack & Cathelijne Spoelstra for identifying the car as an MG D Type Jarvis Special Midget DO360, first registered as PJ 3201, which has survived and is now resident in Luxembourg.

Triple M Corner no.20

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

J.A. Berry was a prolific Midget competitor throughout the early thirties. His M Type (MG 704) can be seen in at least three different guises in the surviving images. The first of these from the autumn of 1930 shows his car in standard trim among the competitors at a High Speed Trial event at Brooklands, while the image to be seen here (LAT 5426) reflects some of the changes made over the coming months. Most noticeable of these is the modified windscreen which has been fitted with taller side elements presumably to aid visibility with the hood erected. A modified manifold has also been fitted allowing the exhaust to exit to the bonnet side while the bore of the exhaust pipe is significantly larger than on the standard vehicle. By June 1932 Berry had the first McEvoy designed body fitted to MG 704, a photograph appearing in that months edition of Motor Sport.

Triple M Corner no.19

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

1930 MG Midget RX 6795 (2m/1594) was a demonstrator owned by the M.G. Car Company that achieved great fame when in May 1930 it ascended the famous Beggar’s Roost trials hill in Devon 100 times. This particular image was taken that very same month during the course of that years MCC London- Edinburgh Trial. The snippet that follows is taken from a May 1930 Auto Motor Journal.

RX 6795 Beggars Roost 100 ascents May 1930 Midget Auto Motor Journal ws

Triple M corner no.18

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

Another Midget Coupe features this week. TF 3009 was an October  1930 Lancashire registered car which carried the chassis number CM 1982. The car was completed at Abingdon on 28th July 1930 and then took a full two months before it was first registered on 6th October, its new owner being J. M. Toulmin. It is seen here taking part in possibly its first event – the 1931 running of the Reliance Cup Trial also held in October that year. Incidentally Toulmin had driven an Arrow Minor Special at the MCC’s Sporting Trial just a couple of weeks previously and was awarded a Silver Medal. (LAT Plate B7310)

Hornet Specials no.3

By Hornet Specials, Triple M corner

From late 1930 onwards until 1935 the Wolseley Hornet chassis kept many coachbuilding firms in business. Around twenty such concerns built an array of ‘special’ bodies covering the whole gamut of body shapes and sizes. This series of images will attempt to illustrate that rich variety.

Michael McEvoy was quick to spot the sporting potential in the six cylinder Wolseley Hornet chassis when it first appeared in April 1930. By the summer of that year he had designed and built one of the earliest Hornet Specials and commenced selling them through his Leaper Street, Derby and Notting Hill, London premises. This mid-1930 Derby City Council registered car is possibly one of the earliest sold and is seen here taking part in the 1931 running of the Reliance Trial – crew unknown.

Triple M Corner no.17

By Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

This sequence of five MG J2 images have been scanned from half-plate glass negatives only recently re-discovered in the LAT archive. The plate numbers are; L5635 – L5639 inclusive.