The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.
This heavily doctored image first appeared on page 364 of the 1st September 1933 edition of The Autocar magazine. It depicts a 1934 season MG Magnette pillarless saloon (JB 550) which, as can be seen from the neatly handwritten caption sold for £445 or the equivalent of three lwb Minor Saloons (at £150 each) and £50 more than Morris Motors top-of-the-range Morris 25 Saloon, these cars selling for £395. Despite the MG’s elegance, many of the comparatively few that were built were later converted to open cars. (LAT Autocar photoscan coutesy of Motorsport Images) JB 550 survives to this day and is listed on the DVLA database as a 1932 ‘green’ MG, although the body type is not detailed.