Skip to main content

Triple M corner no.209

By January 5, 2021Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

On the 9th May 1930 The Autocar published a road test of the development car for the racing M.G. Double Twelve models, which were later to be known in production form as MG Midget 8/45s. It was of course no coincidence that the JCC Double Twelve Race commenced at Brooklands that very day, continuing for a further twelve hours on Saturday 10th May. This car, featured above, was named ‘Shinio’ by H.N. Charles, M.G.’s Chief Engineer “…in honour of the large quantities of metal polish which had been expended on the engine’s internals.” Here the car was used in the header photo for the Autocar test report while a scanned copy of the original artwork from the LAT archive can be seen by way of a comparison. (Lower scan courtesy of Motorsport Images)