I(s)OTW no.453

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

Designed by Gordon England

It wasn’t until July 1930 that Morris Motors added a two-seater to their Minor range,  a full two years after the model was first launched. They turned to an established coachbuilder for assistance and the Gordon England concern effectively resurrected a design they had first used some 18 months previously on their own ‘England Minor Two-seater’. The similarities are very evident in the photographs to be seen here including the stippled bonnet finish, which on the Morris Semi-Sports was rolled into the bonnet sheet metal, while a matching fabric to that of the body was applied to the bonnet of the England Two-seater. However, the England car was far better appointed in that it was supplied with Moseley ‘Float-on-air’ cushions and an integrated chassis lubrication system among other refinements. The heavily dished steering wheel to be seen on the England Two-seater dates the car to late 1928 or early 1929, making this special one of the earliest to be produced.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW(s) no.452

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

Identity crisis

The three images to be seen here of 1932 Minor Two-seater PL 6371 were taken over a period spanning almost 60 years. The first black & white photo of a young man seated in his freshly refurbished Minor (note new hood and paintwork) was taken in the late sixties. The next image depicts the same man some ten years later seated once again in PL 6371 outside his home with a young child peering through an open window. The third photo was taken in September 2017 and was used to successfully advertise the car for sale on eBay. Unfortunately, it looks as if the new owner has stripped the car of its identity as the registration plate PL 6371 is now affixed to a white Fiat.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

I(s)OTW no.451

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

Fothergill Minor Special

Tim Green emailed the Network in an attempt to establish if this 1931 Hertfordshire registered Minor (UR 9276) had survived. The car was owned by his friend Derek Fothergill, a Chippenham, Wilts resident who purchased and rebuilt the car upon leaving the army after WWII. The car was then used to tour Wales as honeymoon transport following his marriage in 1947. The two images seen here of ‘Jane’, as the car was  named, were taken at that time. Sadly, it doesn’t look as if Derek’s Minor has survived, as it’s not listed by the DVLA, either of the main registers and is also not recorded among the Minor survivors in the Harry Edwards archive.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no.450

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

1932 MCC London-Edinburgh Trial

Lt. Cdr. G.M.D. Maltby R.N. was a keen motoring trialist as well as being a retired naval officer. He was also associated with the Kent coachbuilding company that bore his family name until that business was sold in 1927. Here he is seen in a 1929 Somerset registered MG Midget (YC 7221) climbing Park Rash during the course of the 1932 running of the MCC London-Edinburgh trial. Unfortunately, Cowbourne records that he wasn’t among the awards that weekend. There are further photos of Maltby in another Midget (MG 703 – This car is currently in the custodianship of member, Ian Judd)) taken at the RSAC Rally in 1936. (Motor Sport negative – courtesy of LAT Images)

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no.449

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

Cowley – but when?

Morris Films made many documentary ‘shorts’ throughout the late twenties and thirties and this still image was snipped from one of them. The film was shot at Cowley in late 1928 or 1929 and shows Minors passing along the production line. Dating the image more precisely is not easy, as although the cars have the later steering wheel (post early October 1928) they are still being fitted with nickel radiators, single stay radiator supports and Morris script all of which were replaced or updated early into the 1930 production season, circa October 1929. The image does however provide absolute clarity concerning the precise positioning of the manufacturer’s data plate and coil on the bulkhead.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no. 448

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

1932 Brighton Speed Trials

The Brighton Speed Trials is an event that dates back to 1905 and takes place on Madeira Drive adjacent to the sea. It’s generally an annual event although there have been a number of notable breaks.  One such hiatus was between 1925 and 1932 following a change in the law prohibiting motor sport on public roads. Its return after a seven year gap was made possible when it was realised that Maderia Drive was owned by the town corporation and not the Ministry of Transport, therefore it was not deemed a public highway.  The 1932 event attracted a crowd of over 100,000, no doubt enticed by the prospect of a duel between John Cobb and Malcolm Campbell.  This short Pathe film of the event shows the two world land speed record holders going head to head along that famous seafront. This photograph, taken at that 1932 event,  shows a 1932 Kent registered Swallow Wolseley Hornet special (KJ 1461) competing against a Frazer-Nash, the duel’s outcome not being known. (The Pathe film cameraman can be seen in the background.) For more information about the speed trials visit this website. (LAT Autocar photoscan)

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no.447

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

A spring 1931 Birmingham registered EW Hornet Sports (OV 1173) features in this Autocar column heading artwork. The fountain at Hascombe, Surrey still exists while sadly, this lovely early example of a Hornet special, doesn’t. The original image appeared in the 30th June 1933 edition of The Autocar. (Photoscan image by courtesy of LAT)

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW NO.446

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

1932 GPO ‘Linesman’ Minor 5cwt van
Of the 87,000 Morris Minors produced between the autumn of 1928 and the summer of 1934, 58,000 of them were saloons of various types.  Numerically, and some way behind the saloon, the 5cwt van took the runners up spot with just under 10,000 examples leaving Cowley. This was due in part to a succession of orders from the GPO, who extensively used the Minor van for Royal Mail delivery as well as in a variety of other roles. This photo of a 1932 model depicts a GPO Linesman’s van, GW 2426 which was among the first batch of six such experimental vehicles to be supplied to the organisation. The bodies were built by Harold Perry Ltd., who also successfully bodied a number of Ford Eight specials around the same period, their business eventually gaining Ford main dealership status. Grateful thanks goes to forumist Joe Raynor (oilyrag) for the use of the photograph and for the background information.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no.445

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

PL 2347 again!

This post September 1930, Surrey registered Wolseley Hornet Saloon PL 2347 was used by the Chief Photographer of the Iliffe publishing group, Mr. Donald Osmond, throughout the early thirties and into the second half of that decade. It appears in many feature articles in the Autocar magazine and constantly crops up in the background of many other photographs held in the LAT Photographic Archive. This photo has a caption scratched into the plate’s emulsion that simply reads Haweswater. The Network’s archive holds over 50 different images of this car taken between 1931 and 1937.

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk

IOTW no.444

By | IOTW

Click the image to see it full size.

1925-26 Nomad

Marketed as a ‘real car’ by makers Gnome of Chelsea the Nomad sold for £99-9s-9d long before the introduction of the 1931 SV Morris Minor. According to Nick Baldwin’s book, ‘A-Z of Cars of the Twenties’, the firm sold at least 25 examples from their New Kings Road, SW6 premises. The rear-mounted  343 cc Villiers single cylinder two-stroke engine produced 8.25 bhp and powered the car to 40 mph while consuming a gallon of petrol/oil mixture every 50 miles. No suspension was fitted, the pneumatic tyres providing the necessary cushion effect, being inflated to just 6 psi according to Baldwin. (LATplate Red 2768)

Sponsored by LAT Photographic Archive www.latphoto.co.uk