Triple M corner no.117

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

This scan from a 1931 Motor Sport film negative shows off this MG factory photo of their ‘C’ Type Montlhery Midget to good effect.

Wolseley Hornet Specials no.34

By | Triple M corner

F. Allott competed in many of the major trials throughout the thirties and for three of those years 1932, ’33  and ’34 his car of choice was a Patrick bodied Wolseley Hornet Special. These images were both taken during the course of the October 1933 running of the MCC Sporting Trial for which Allott collected a Silver Award.  His Hornet (MG 2239) can be seen climbing the Rosedale Chimney gradient in an image that was published (or perhaps re-published) in the June 1944 edition of Light Car, the magazine having moved from a weekly publication to monthly as a result of wartime shortages. The second heavily re-touched Autocar image (LAT photoscan) was taken on Scarborough promenade and shows MG 2239 taking part in the driving tests element of the trial.

CLICK ON AN IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Triple M corner no.116

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

This photograph of the Honourable Mrs. Chetwynd and H.H. Stisted‘s MG C Type Midget was taken on Saturday 13th June 1931 at the famous la Sarthe circuit during the course of the 24 Heures du Mans. The Stisted/Chetwyn car completed just 30 laps before being forced into retirement and was one of the 20 cars to be unclassified from among the 26 starters. The lack of spectator and crew protection at the circuit is clear to see, both from this photograph and contemporary images to be found on the internet and elsewhere. (LATplate B6269A)

Triple M corner no.115

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

F. Fsorza took part in the majority of the major trials between 1931 and 1933 competing in either a Lea Francis or, as seen here, his MG Magna (MG 1419). This photograph was taken at the 1932 running of the MCC London-Lands End event held over 25th & 26th March and was published on P249 of the April edition of Motor Sport magazine. The concise caption reads, “F. Fsorsa’s Magna comes to grief on the first bend of Grabhurst” . He failed to collect an award that day. (LAT Motor Sport negative)

Triple M corner no.114

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

There are many talented automotive artists currently practising their skills and Bruce Thomson is up there among the best. This depiction of a 1934 MG PA Midget was discovered on Bruce’s website and was sketched during a brief stay at the Three Horseshoes in Thursley, Surrey. His website is well worth a prolonged look.

Triple M corner no.113

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

The MG Car Company’s founder and chief executive throughout the thirties was Mr. Cecil Kimber. His personal transport for a short time during this period was this Corsica bodied, supercharged MG Magnette. The image is a scan of a photograph from an Autocar ‘edition file’ which appears here courtesy of LAT, while the small snippet and caption was found on the internet.

Triple M corner no.112

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

RX 8306 was one of just 44 MG C Type Midgets built between 1931 and 1932. They were manufactured specifically with circuit racing in mind and the model’s design was based around that of the record breaking EX120 ‘Magic Midget’, driven by George Eyston in early 1931 at Brooklands, Montlhery and Pendine. These two images show the layout of the cockpit area of the 743 cc sohc racing car. These photos are two of a sequence of five taken for The Autocar magazine and appear here courtesy of LAT. (references E1334 and E1337)

Drag the blue bar either way to reveal the full extent of each image.

Triple M corner no. 111

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

There were just three Irish International Grand Prix which for a short period were held annually between 1929 until 1931. Competitors were tasked with lapping the four and a quarter mile course 71 times to cover the full 300 mile distance, all of this within the confines of Pheonix Park, Dublin, a huge open space well within the city’s boundaries. This ‘Motor’ plate image (LAT ref 680-2) shows the MG C Type Midget of Mr. H. D. Barker leading D. C. MacLaughlin’s Riley. While Barker finished sixth there were three C Type Midgets ahead of him, nine Midgets finishing in total, ensuring that the team prize went to the Earl of March’s all MG team. MacLaughlin’s Riley failed to finish.

Wolseley Hornet Specials no.33

By | Triple M corner

AEW was the trade name for a north London firm of coachbuilders A.E. Wright Ltd., the business being based in Alexandra Park, N22. Their models (they bodied both Austin Sevens and Hornets) were distinctive in that the rear-ends lacked many curves with angular flat surfaces predominating. This two-seater model from 1932 looks well equipped with a Bluemel’s four spoke ‘Brooklands’ steering wheel, a top opening boot, full instrumentation and scuttle mounted Lucas 1130 side lights.

Triple M corner no.110

By | Triple M corner

The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.

1929 MG Midget (TM 5050) took part in many events between 1929 and 1931, usually in the capable hands of Miss Schwedler while occassionaly being driven by CGH Dunham. Here Miss Schwedler is seen at the wheel during the course of the 1930 WASA Lands End Trial.  The photograph first appeared in an April 1930 edition of the Autocar while this scan was taken from the heavily retouched print used in that publication. Much of that original retouching has subsequently been removed in Photoshop. TM 5050 survives in California having now been restored. (LAT photoscan)