The Triple M series of MG’s all belong to a family of models that commenced with the 1929 MG Midget and continued through to the mid-thirties via a long string of four and six cylinder OHC engined cars that forged the marques identity.
The M.G. F1 Magna was the company’s first six-cylinder car to use the Wolseley Hornet’s 1271 cc OHC engine. It was introduced in September 1931 and looked almost identical to the smaller-engined (847 cc) D-Type in that there was space for four occupants. The F1 was to be followed 12 months later by the F2, a two-seater model. This car (RX 9538) was M.G.’s press demonstrator and was first registered in Berkshire in the autumn of 1931, this image taken by an Iliffe Press photographer. (LAT plate E1996 courtesy of Motorsport Images)